Guys, ‘Shakuntala Devi’ is a phenomenal movie. I loved it for almost the entire film.!. It’s classy, adequately researched and well-narrated. I highly recommend and encourage you to go watch it.
Alright. This is going to be a rapid review.
The Good part
- No Nepotism! – That’s a huge plus.
- It’s a kind of biopic which many Indian movie industries miserably failed to produce so far. They were too busy making whitewashing biopics of people brought India the wrong name. A controversial Nepo-kid, Dons and Don(ness?), corrupt cricketer etc.
- Direction, Narration, Casting, acting, costume – all phenomenal
The Bad part
- Bollywood should start giving its dues to Regional Languages. As per them, our Audience can handle sporadic English, French and Spanish – but they can not handle a couple of sentences in Kannada and Tamil? For example, Shakuntala’s mother had just two lines in the entire movie, and she chooses to speak in Hindi! That family speaking with Hindi/English subtitle would’ve been so authentic.
- Background scores did not match the emotions. This is not a deal-breaker, I am just nitpicking.
The Ugly Parts
Production designers have done a terrible job. They have shown total disregard towards the authenticity of artefacts demonstrated in various parts of the movie. Couple of them is posted below.