This is a question to all my Indian readers, What is your take on the growing menace of “cultural appropriation”?
Confused? Let me put it another way. Would you be offended if someone “not connected” to India wears a bindi? Say, Katie Perry? Or our own Amy Jackson? Can they wear Saree? How about Mehendi?
Apparently, Amy was not are supposed to do any of that. According to “culture rescue warriors” this could amount to racism and stealing !!
For your benefit, let me summarise what it means :
cultural appropriation is Taking traditional knowledge, cultural imagery, or artefacts from someone else’s culture “without permission”. This can include, but not limited to “unauthorized use” of another culture’s dance, attire, music, language, cuisine, religious symbols, and so on. This is wildly wrong when “giving” community is a less “dominant culture” which, probably was, previously oppressed or exploited by the “taking” community.
Looks like these are imaginations of a misguided, overcompensating and an apologetic group that is bending over backwards. But unfortunately, its growing movement and its in fashion for “culture rescue warriors” continuously outraging on unsuspecting artists on this flavour of racism.
Let’s take a hypothetical example. Let’s assume, Obamas want to celebrate Gandhi Jayanthi, and Barack asks Michelle if she can make Samosa for this occasion.
By technicality, this is a massive cultural appropriation for three reasons. One Obamas belong to a country with bigger GDP. Second, Samosa belongs to India. Finally three, there is no “Letter of Cross-cultural Fair use of Samosa” issued! Now, what should Obama do to eat those delicious Samosas? Suppose he is ready to fight it in International court, these the hurdles :
- Samosas are not Indian to start with. They have their origins in middle-east or Persia at best. India just popularised it and flavour-ized it with spices. So, Who would sign that letter for Obama? All these countries?
- What defines to ‘dominant culture’ India and America never invaded each other. Unless there is a “The first war of Samosa” we will never know who is dominant.
- Suppose India is signatory, then who does it on behalf of Indian culture ? Gandhi’s great-grandson, Modi or Arnab?
I don’t know what Obamas should do. But hey, if my approval works, I am more than happy to sign it. Obama Bhai, you have my blessings, please go ahead and eat your Samosas.
Honestly, I can’t keep track of all the outrages happened “on behalf of” India against cultural appropriation. I can attempt to list a few, though.
- Katie Perry, Selena Gomez etc. sporting Bindi.
- Appu character in Simpson series speaking in an Indian accent
- The Yoga Debate
- Sacha Boron Cohen as the voice of Lemur King in Madagascar movies.
I don’t think Indian’s care any less on these things. That, unless of course, it was done with malicious intent. Otherwise, Please go ahead wear a Saree the way you want and eat “Curry” and just make sure you have fun while you
I will leave you with Coldplay ft Beyoncé song “Hymn For The Weekend”, and you tell me what is offensive about this.
PS. For Further reading ;
- Hate to use BBC video on this, but Jonathan Pie hits bulls-eye on this topic
- Curbing cultural appropriation in the fashion industry with intellectual property – World Intellectual Property Organization.